|What is Karate ?|
|Karate may be defined as a weaponless (unarmed) means of self-defense.
it consists of dynamic offensive and defensive techniques using all parts of the body to their maximum advantage. It
is a very refined Japanese martial art that follows a scientifically studied and perfected technical system of training and
enhancement of a human being's mental and physical capabilities.
[Karate in Japanese means "Empty Handed". Kara, meaning 'empty' + te, meaning 'hand']
self defense, is one of the most dynamic of all martial arts. The trained karateka is able to coordinate his mind and body
perfectly, thereby allowing him to unleash tremendous physical power at will. Therefore it is not the possession of great
physical strength that make a strong karateka but the ability to coordinate both mind and body. Upon developing this ability,
even the smallest person finds that he has within himself the power to deliver a devastating blow to any would - be attacker.
|What is Shotokan Karate ?|
|Shotokan Karate is one of the Oldest and most Refined and a Style of Karate
which was developed by Grand Master Gichin Funakoshi in Okinawa, Japan.|
Today Shotokan Karate is practiced in more than
90 countries all over the world and is preserved by SKIF, Japan (Founded by Kancho Hirokazu Kanazawa) in its most purest form.
RISK follows the SKIF system of training as taught to Many by Kancho Hirokazu Kanazawa.
|So why should you learn Karate ?|
|The values of Karate to the modern man are numerous. In our everyday lives
we often forget the value of exercise for both our physical and mental health. Thus most of us suffer from:|
- Various kinds of inferiorities due to lack of height, physical appearance, abnormal body movements
and other kinds of inabilities.
- Incompetence due to lethargy, laziness, sleep disorders, lack of concentration and will-power, slow
mind and body reflexes, etc.
- Fear of physically big or strong people (thus giving them a reason to bully you or take advantage
of your silence.
|All these together stop you from becoming a dynamic, smart, disciplined,
mature, fearless and successful human being, thereby bringing failures in your life. By learning karate the achieving and
maintaining of any zenith of success in any sphere of life becomes easier.|
|So how will Karate help you to be successful in your life ?|
|The practice of karate|
- Tones the body, quickens reflexes and builds stamina, sharpens the mind and develops concentration.
(It is a physical fitness exercise that bestows better health as a bonus.)
- By anybody (be it a child or an adult) develops good character, self-esteem, self-confidence, perseverance,
self-defense, self-respect, and respect for others, resulting in better grades and increased self-discipline, social skills,
health and personal growth.
- Develops coordination and agility which can be used to excel in other sports activities.
- Karate tends to wipe out the differences of size, weight, height, and reach. The possessor of the
skill gains tremendous self-confidence and the ability to walk without fear. Skill and knowledge are in themselves sufficient
to subdue any aggressor no matter how strong or vicious. You learn to be mentally cool and alert in the face of danger, you
begin to experience a self-restraint which comes only with supreme self-confidence.
|From whom should you learn Karate ?|
|Karate is being taught in many countries by many different schools of karate
which follow different styles and techniques. The major factors one must look at while choosing a school of karate is the
authenticity of the school, the style of karate they follow and impart to their students and the experience and in-depth knowledge
of the instructor/s who would be teaching you.|
- Do not be mislead by seeing fancy stunts or demonstrations, given by many schools because true karate
is very different from what you get to see at such demonstrations.
- Try to visit as many schools (dojo) as many times as you can and try to observe as much as possible
with respect to discipline, regularity of classes, standards of teaching, capability of the instructor to practically demonstrate
and elaborately explain the application and effectiveness of various techniques and the frequency of demonstrations given
by him during a class.
- Do not be mislead by people who say that they could give you a Black Belt within a year or two, because
"Belts don't have a meaning if you don't have the authentic standard they represent." (A Fact all karate instructors know
(but hide) is that 'It would take more than a year or two for a normal person to achieve the standard of a Black Belt').
- Never be attracted by offers that promise to grade new belts every three months (without judging if
you are ready for it or not).
- Even disciplined, honest and consistent efforts at learning authentic karate may take you more than
a decade to gain some extent of perfection in all the techniques applied in karate.
- For true, dedicated and genuine karateka (practitioners of karate), Karate is a life long companion.
|Can you learn Karate from R.I.S.K?|
|Anyone (male or female) sincerely interested in learning authentic Karate
from R.I.S.K must be 3 years or above, ready for hard work, discipline and commitment.|
The School of Shotokan
Karate-Do invites you for a practical, complete and authoritative personal course in Karate. It is an investment which yields
and provides mental and physical benefits (not achievable by ordinary means) not only in the immediate future but for the
rest of your life.
|R.I.S.K (Rhode Island) imparts the knowledge of authentic Karate by conducting
dedicated Private and Group coaching classes under Sensei Larry S.L. Martin and
other Senior Instructors.|
|Please Note : our coaching classes are presently available only in Rhode Island|
|Those interested to join Group Coaching Classes|
|May, please visit any of the following R.I.S.K Dojo closest
|Those interested to join Private Coaching Classes|
|School of Shotokan Karate-Do (R.I.S.K.)|
|Sensei Larry S.L. Martin (President
& Chief Instructor R.I.S.K)|
|Please Note : For any kind of Query or Information kindly
contact me directly on my mobile. Please use email.|
|H.Q. Address :
||R.I.Shotokan Karate-do Honbu Dojo |
||154 Gansett Ave.|
||Cranston, Rhode Island 02910|
|E-mail Address :